Recently, WOMWorldNokia and #dailyappskills launched The Worst Cook Challenge. The challenge was to use an application by Pico Brothers LTD, called The Perfect Egg to see if this could help in cooking.
When I heard of the challenge, I told my story, as, basically, I stink at cooking. I also wanted to share my experience with the electronicBRAINedgement audience, as this type of application can help so many people of all abilities! That excited me, and I wanted to test this out badly and get back to you all!
You see, I have traumatic brain injuries (TBIs) and went from a great and very active cook, to someone who cannot really contribute to my household, especially cooking. This is frustrating and unpleasant to say the least.
The issue is, I can’t focus and follow directions when doing many things, especially cooking. The typical attempt of cooking anything for my family has a disastrous outcome. So, the chance to participate in this challenge is also a great way to demonstrate how science and technology in the form of a mobile application allows for success and independence.
The basic steps to make The Perfect Egg using the Pico Brothers LTD application for Nokia is the following:
- Select The Perfect Egg Application, to open, and just answer some quick questions…..
- How do you like your egg cooked (Liquid, Soft, Soft), Select one
- Select the settings icon (it looks like gears and appears on the left of your Nokia screen)
- Measure your egg diameter (you can use a string and a ruler) and enter that value
- Enter the altitude of where you are cooking (this can be done right on your Nokia by using your favorite maps application, probably Nokia, Ovi or Google)
- Enter the temperature of your egg. Probably 10C if refrigerated, or 27C (room temp, but depends on where you live)
- Select “BACK”
- The Perfect Egg application now tells exact cooking instructions.
- Put your egg in a saucepan with cold water
- Bring the water to a rapid boil
- When the water start to boil, press “START”
- Then there is a stop watch which counts down exact time for The Perfect Egg
10. An alarm goes off when the egg is done to your liking
11. Wait for it to cool or eat it hot
12. My daughter and I did this application and were amazed that we got The Perfect Egg!
This application would be so great for people of all abilities and especially those who need specific instructions, cueing and alarms.
As a review for an accessibility application, I give The Perfect Egg and high grade. There needs to be more application like this. I hope that Pico Brothers LTD make other applications too facilitate successful cooking for other food types. The really cool part is that they are using simple questions and answers to get information. This is actually scientific information and the application is calculation a formula to make The Perfect Egg. The best part is the user, does not need to know this…..The work is done by the application. After answering some short and easy questions, the application creates very clear step-by-step instructions and uses cueing and alarms…..BRILLIANT! Please Pico Brothers, develop more food preparation applications….This is fabulous! Thank you….
Ok, now that the application review is done, I want to share the process.
My daughter wrote a script and I am proud to present as the second part of The Worst Cook Challenge, our experience preparing The Perfect Egg…….
Written and Produced by: RU Smith
Actors: RU Smith and GU Smith….
Hey, I’m a mom…Life is too short and we had fun with this challenge.. : ) ..enjoy the clip and enjoy a really good application; The Perfect Egg, by Pico Brothers LTD.